Wednesday, December 9, 2015

개종

개종

I guess I should start at the beginning with this borderline pedantic blog and my potential growth in the up-and-coming future. I need to tell the story in hindsight, so the whole conversion has gone through some spiritual pondering and consideration─actually, a considerable amount of thought. So, the whole story may seem a little contrived, but for someone like me who has lived a very eventful life full of stupid decisions, hindsight is very important for any future growth.

That is enough of an introduction. So... let's get into this paraphrased story of mine that I blatantly attempt to disguise as a journal. I will add to the autobiographical elements of this journal here and there... so, I apologize if I repeat myself too much.

Without mentioning the bad points of any religion or lack thereof, I will instead focus on what drew me to becoming a CO-J-COLDS (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints), which all began with some theological lingering questions constantly gnawing at me since I was in middle school. These questions were not those irritating nay-sayer questions that are asked all the time, like: 'Why doesn't God heal amputees?' or, 'Where did Cain's and Seth's wives come from? or, 'Can God create a rock too heavy for himself to lift?' No no....not those trivial ponderings, but inquires into the nature of God, personal problems with the idea of the Trinity, Biblical interpretation related questions, the eerie silence of God since the Bible was finished. The idea of some Protestants that miracles have ceased, and the affirmations that were rampant among the Protestant believers I came across.

As an investigator, I was preparing for my interview to become a member. Two of the Missionaries told me the questions I was going to be asked so I could pray about them and really contemplate their relevance to what I was about to do. And, the one question that really hit me was about the Living Prophet. I had a slight issue with accepting Joseph Smith as a Prophet… for whatever reason─probably held back by my upbringing and deterministic surroundings. But, after praying about it, I realized that not accepting this truth would hinder a belief in many subsequent parts that were contingent on a belief in Smith as Prophet, and one of those facets was the passing of the Priesthood through the generations.



Many of these entries will be freely mixed with Koreans, Korea, and Korean, because when a conversion comes around, one's identity comes to the forefront as it finds its place in this new, divine worldview, and when this all happens in a foreign country like Korea, the conversion process and the religion can't be easily separated. Korea is where I have lived for many years now and being converted here makes the whole time more precious and memorable.

I will not get into the details of my conversion, because I feel the events that follow the conversion are much more important. Focusing on myself seems selfish, but giving inspiration through my Missionary farming work where I planted many seeds and helped others find their way down this post-modern road we all crawl on.....well, that is more important. Suffice it to say that Mormonism answered the questions that lingered in my mind throughout the years and gave closure to the worldview holes that plagued my understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment