Saturday, December 19, 2015

몰몬교 연차대회

My Korean, Buddhist wife is doing as most Korean women would do when traveling or moving to a new place:  she is searching through homepages and hundreds of blogs to find out all that she can about Salt Lake City. Since we will be moving there and since she has never lived in America, this is a big deal for her. And, she really wants her older sister and niece to come and visit us in America. 

In 2017, maybe, her older sister and niece will probably come and visit, and they are already making plans for the trip. This is a far cry from what most men would do when travelling; but, hey, I like the preparedness. 

The other day, I was listening to the three talk about the vague beginnings of the travel plans. They were making kimchi and talking about Utah. My wife said to the two; in Korean, "There are two times a year you don't want to come because it's so busy in Salt Lake City. It's a Mormon event called 'General Conference.' On the net, people advised against travelling to Salt Lake City at that time for just travelling." 

Travelling to Salt Lake City at this time
would be a hassle


This took me aback. I have never mentioned General Conference to my wife by name, rather saying (in Korean) that the two General Conferences a year are 'special days where we watch videos from the Mormon higher-ups.' 


Does every Mormon in the US try and
come to Salt Lake City at these times?

Those who know my wife know that her first exposure to anything Christ and Mormon related was through me. Now, she, her family, and her close friends talk about Mormonism sometimes (usually in reference to me).

But, what got me was when my wife was talking about General Conference and travelling that day in the country. For her to know about that, there must have been some Korean blogs and travel warnings throughout Naver (the Korean Google) about how busy Salt Lake City is during General Conference. Some Koreans had to have tried to spend some days in the city and only realized how sparse the hotels were and how crowded everything would be. It was kind of a nice though that some travelers, bloggers, and netizens are spreading some information about Mormons and Salt Lake City throughout Korean cyberspace.

I then got to talk about what General Conference was to my Buddhist, Korean family. They are mildly fascinated whenever I talk about something new about Mormonism.

And I got to tell about how sometimes, people who are not part of the higher-up's get to speak, just like Peter Vidmar did.


No comments:

Post a Comment